Into The Instant Pot:
- 1 1/2 cups lentils
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- one 1-inch knob of ginger, minced
- a few good shakes of cayenne pepper
- 2 cups water
- 1 14-ounce can tomato puree
- 1 teaspoon coarse salt (more to taste)
- 3/4 cup coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons butter or ghee (optional)
- cilantro for garnishing
- rice for serving
- Place all ingredients in the Instant Pot. Cook on high pressure for 15 minutes. Natural pressure release (meaning just let it sit) for 10 more minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk and butter. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve with rice, top with cilantro, and be amazed at the yumminess of the humble little lentil.
What to serve with: I often serve this with some extras – like, whatever produce we have hanging around in the fridge. Roasted bell peppers, slices of mango, avocado chunks… this is a very flexible recipe and works great as the base of a healthy and delicious fridge-clean-out bowl!
Freezing: This recipe freezes super well, cooked OR uncooked. I froze mine, uncooked, without liquids (just lentils, onion, garlic, ginger, spices) and then added the water and tomato sauce when I cooked it. Timing should be the same either way!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Thai-Inspired