Juicy Lucy Ingredients:
- 2 lbs. ground beef (I used Simply Natural Organic Grass fed Ground Beef from ALDI)
- 2 tablespoons burger seasoning (I used Stonemill Gourmet Burger Seasoning from ALDI)
- 6–12 slices American cheese (I used Happy Farms Deluxe American Cheese Slices from ALDI)
Juicy Lucy Extras:
- 6 brioche buns (I used Specially Selected Brioche Buns from ALDI)
- Toppings: Lettuce, tomato, onion, pickles
- Sauces: Ketchup, mustard, mayo
Click here to get our favorite ALDI BBQ essentials, including your Juicy Lucy stuff, delivered via Instacart! And if this is your first time, don’t forget to use the ALDIPOY code for $10 off!
- Mix the spices into the ground beef (I just mix by hand). Divide the beef into 6 even sections.
- Form each section into two thin patties (a smaller top patty, and a larger bottom patty). Place 1-2 folded pieces of cheese on the bottom patty, and place the smaller top patty over it, pinching up the edges to seal.
- Grill or pan fry for about 5 minutes, or until cooked to your desired doneness and cheese is melted. We usually sacrifice one Juicy Lucy and cut into it to test the doneness of both the beef and cheese.
- Let the Juicy Lucys rest for a minute or two. This is essential, otherwise the cheese will be so hot that it will literally come exploding out all over the place. I’m very serious.
- Serve on buns with your favorite toppings!
I find it very difficult if not impossible to go for a medium-done Juicy Lucy because if you limit the cook time on the burger, it’s hard to get the cheese hot enough to melt. Plus you don’t want to be sticking a meat thermometer into these because you’ll lose your delicious melty cheese. We usually just go for a more well-done burger (the patties on either side are thin so this happens relatively quickly) since we are chasing that delicious melty cheese center.
Definitely recommend toasting the buns! Just spread them with a little butter and either pop in the oven for a few minutes at 350, or place on the upper rack of a grill while the burgers finish.