Greek Baked Orzo! Lightly tomato-sauced orzo baked in a skillet with red peppers, kale, chicken – or chickpeas – and a topping of feta, lemon juice, and fresh dill.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large oven-safe skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onion. Saute for 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add the garlic, red pepper, kale, oregano, red pepper flakes, and salt. Saute for 5 minutes or until the kale is wilted.
- Add the tomato paste. Saute for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the orzo, canned tomatoes, chicken or chickpeas, and broth. Bring to a simmer.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until the orzo is soft.
- Finish by stirring in butter, crumbling feta over the top, and dusting with some fresh dill, lemon juice, and freshly ground black pepper. YEAH BABY.
If you want the feta to get soft, just crumble and then put it back in the oven for 5 minutes or so before serving.
I normally use an enameled cast iron pan for this, and I find that the orzo likes to stick to the bottom of the pan. But it should release fine with some gentle pressure from a spatula or wooden spoon and then you’ll be good to go!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Greek-Inspired
Keywords: Greek recipe, orzo recipe, baked pasta recipe, vegetarian pasta