Chicken Pot Pie with Biscuits! Sautéed shallots and thyme, a splash of white wine, creamy chicken, peas, and carrots all baked under a homemade biscuit topping. YUM.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 6 tablespoons very cold Land O Lakes® Salted Butter
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 4 tablespoons Land O Lakes® Salted Butter
- a few sprigs of thyme
- 2 shallots
- 4 carrots, peeled and sliced thinly (about 2 cups)
- 4 celery stalks, chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1/4 cup flour
- splash of dry white wine (optional)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 4 cups shredded chicken (I use a rotisserie chicken)
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon salt
- squeeze of lemon juice, black pepper, etc.
- Prep: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.
- Biscuits: Mix flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt together. Grate butter and work it into the dry mix with your hands. Add milk and stir gently with a fork to bring it all together. Turn dough out onto a clean counter. Fold it over a few times to get it into a 1-2 inch thick layer. Cut 6-10 biscuits from it using a biscuit cutter, rim of a drinking glass, or… just a knife. Let’s not be too precious here.
- Filling: Melt the butter in a large oven-safe Dutch oven or pan. Add the thyme and shallots; sauté for 5 minutes. Add the carrots and celery; sauté for 5 minutes. Add the flour; sauté for 1-2 minutes. Add a splash of wine; let it sizzle out. Slowly and gradually, add the milk and the chicken broth, stirring after each addition. The mixture should resemble a thick, creamy soup. Add chicken and peas. Season with salt, pepper, and lemon juice.
- Bake: Arrange biscuits on top of filling. Brush biscuits with milk or butter for extra browning. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until hot, bubbly, and biscuits are cooked through.