- 1 lb. Italian sausage
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp. kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. fennel seed, crushed or chopped
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 6–7 cups chicken broth
- 14 oz. refrigerated cheese tortellini*
- 2 large handfuls chopped fresh spinach
- 2 cups half and half or heavy cream
- In a large stockpot set over medium-high, cook the sausage, breaking up into little pieces. When sausage is mostly browned, add onion, celery and carrot, sauté for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are soft.
- Add the garlic, spices, and tomato paste; sauté for an additional 3-5 minutes, or until fragrant, stirring occasionally to prevent it from burning.
- Add wine and let it cook out for a few minutes. Stir the flour into the sausage and cook for 1 minute. It’ll be sticky and dry. Gradually add in the chicken broth, stir to combine and make a creamy mixture. Continue cooking until the mixture reaches a simmer, then reduce heat to low and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the cream, then bring back to a low simmer. Add the tortellini and spinach. Cook just until tortellini is al dente, per package directions. Serve with fresh parsley and Parmesan and dunk with cheese bread. Oh my goodness. This is living.