Instant Pot Pot Roast! Rustic, delicious, and cozy to the max. Tender beef, onions, potatoes, garlic and herbs, mushrooms, and a perfectly luscious gravy.
- 3 pounds chuck roast
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 onion, quartered
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 large carrots, roughly chopped
- 3 celery stalks, roughly chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, halved
- 1 pound red potatoes, whole
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 2–3 cups beef broth
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2–3 teaspoons salt (more to taste)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch whisked with 1/2 cup cold water
- Trim excess fat off the beef. Cut into 3-4 large chunks.
- Turn the Instant Pot to the sauté function and add oil. When the oil is hot, add beef and sear in oil until a crispy brown exterior forms.
- Add the onion, garlic, mushrooms, whole potatoes, tomato paste, red wine, broth, fresh herbs, salt, and Worcestershire sauce to the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, release pressure and add carrots and celery. Bring back up to pressure and continue cooking for 10 minutes (this prevents overcooking the carrots and celery). Once roast finishes, allow for 15 minutes of natural pressure release.
- Remove beef and veggies from Instant Pot and put on a serving platter. Add your cornstarch slurry to the liquid left in the Instant Pot. Switch to the sauté function. Let it bubble a bit until it thickens to be a gravy – this should take 2-3 minutes.
- Spoon gravy over roast. Serve with salt, pepper, and hot crusty bread. YUUUUM.
Red Wine Substitution: You can leave out the red wine and use beef broth instead.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot dinner, instant pot pot roast, pot roast recipe, easy pot roast