Sesame Beef and Broccoli! Full of protein, green broccoli goodness, and sticky-sweet garlic and ginger flavor. Perfect at-home takeout!
- 1 lb. beef flank steak, thinly sliced
- 1 head broccoli, cut into florets
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or minced
- one 1-inch knob fresh peeled ginger, grated or sliced
- white rice, brown rice, or cauliflower rice for serving
- thinly sliced green onions for serving
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup brown sugar (sub coconut sugar)
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar (sub white vinegar)
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
It’s easier to get a nice sear on the meat if it’s mostly dry when it goes into the hot skillet, which is why I am not recommending marinating the meat in the sauce. When you marinate it in the sauce, it gets wet, which makes it cook differently in the pan (more like steaming – not as good as a nice browned sear).
Vegan option: Sliced tempeh is delicious and works wonderfully in this recipe! I would recommend letting it marinate in a little bit of the sauce before cooking to get the best flavor.
Rice Amounts: 1 1/2 cups rice, 2 1/4 cup water, a pinch of salt. Add to the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes, and allow for natural pressure release (this should give you enough rice for 4 very generous servings).
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Sauté
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: beef and broccoli, stir fry recipe, beef recipe, takeout at home