Instant Pot Mac and Cheese – made with just 5 real food ingredients. This is SO MUCH BETTER (and easier) than any mac and cheese I’ve ever had! Unreal.
- 1 pound uncooked elbow pasta
- 4 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- up to 1/2 cup whole milk
- Noodles: Put the pasta, water, and salt into the Instant Pot (affiliate link). Cook for 4 minutes using the manual function. Quick release the steam so your noodles don’t get overcooked.
- Cheese: Gently stir in the butter until melted. Add the cheese and milk (use 2-3 tablespoons of milk at a time, as needed, up to 1/2 cup). Add more seasoning or liquid as necessary. MWAH! Enjoy. It’s so, so good.
Cheese: My favorite cheese combo is 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese and 1/2 cup Italian blend shredded cheese. Really, any kind of cheese you like will be good here. I lean towards smooth-melting cheeses such as cheddar, gouda, gruyere, Monterrey jack, etc. Stringy cheeses (i.e. Mozzarella or Provolone) might be tricky to work with (think ooey gooey cheese bomb) but would obvi still taste awesome.
Gluten Free: I tried this with gluten free noodles and did not have great results – they just turned to mush.
Extra Seasoning: I often add a pinch of garlic salt or a swish of hot sauce when serving. I can’t not.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: instant pot mac and cheese, mac and cheese, easy mac and cheese, instant mac and cheese