Amazing Mushroom Bowls with Kale Pesto! Smoky, sweet, salt mushrooms (or tempeh!), caramelized pineapple, peppers, and dollop of kale pesto, all served over rice. SO GOOD.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and black pepper (to taste)
- Whisk or shake the marinate in a jar until combined.
- Place mushrooms in a shallow bowl. Cover with enough marinade to get some flavor on each of the mushroom pieces (you might have some marinade left – that’s okay, you can use it later in this recipe, or save for next week’s bowls).
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Let the mushrooms rest for 20-30 minutes while you prep other ingredients, including your sauce!
- Place peppers, pineapple, and mushrooms with marinade each on their own sheet pans. Bake for 20-or-so minutes, rotating pans as needed, until you get some nice browning on everything (peppers will roast a few minutes faster). You can use the broiler to help with the browning as needed.
- Serve in a bowl over rice or cauli rice. Top with your sauce (yeah kale pesto)! You can also put all this yumminess in a wrap or on a salad. Poof! Look at healthy, delicious you.
Tips for Roasting: don’t overcrowd the pans because the pineapple, peppers, and mushrooms might start to steam instead of roast / caramelize / brown. I would recommend draining off excess juice from your pineapple if it seems to have a lot of moisture. If your mushrooms look like they have a lot of liquid, that’s okay – keep roasting a bit longer and the sauce will kind of turn into a gooey crust and the mushrooms will get even deeper in color and flavor. YUM.
Alternative to Mushrooms: Tempeh is also really delicious here. If you use tempeh, let it marinate for at least 2-3 hours if possible because it takes a bit longer to absorb the flavor. You can pan-fry it or roast it in the same way as directed for the mushrooms.
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: mushroom bowls, mushroom recipe, vegan recipe, vegetarian recipe, kale pesto